Wednesday, October 28, 2009

10 Albums I've Been Meaning To Check Out But Haven't Yet

I've been in a music rut lately. More specifically I haven't listened to anything new, as in current, in awhile. I also haven't been listening to anything new, as far as older albums go, to me. I've pretty much just been listening to a bunch of MP3s, mostly not current, that are more or less impulse downloads. I dunno why, I guess I just go from phases of being voracious about music to being more complacent about acquiring new stuff. Maybe it's because I've been extra cash poor lately. I've also been reading more often. I like the concept of the album, and as much as I love getting eclectic and obscure MP3's I also enjoy listening to music the way the artist generally intended it to be listened to. Anyway, here's a list of 10 albums (an arbitrary, but round, number) I've been meaning to check out, old and new, but haven't gotten around to (although I have heard a song or two (or more) off most).

In no particular order:

Cornershop - When I Was Born For The 7th Time

Richard Hawley - Coles Corner

Noisettes - Wild Young Hearts

Next 7 after the jump.

Santoigold - Santogold

Graham Coxon - The Spinning Top

Bat For Lashes - Two Suns

Pete(r) Doherty - Grace/Wastelands

Monks - Black Monk Time

Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You

Wire - Chairs Missing

Hopefully getting all these down in list form will help inspire me to actually check them out, in album form, sometime in the near future, and maybe I'll actually write about them.

PS: I took out the yet from the title of this post originally but then taking it out made me think of the yet scene in High Fidelity and it kind of sums up my position perfectly. I'm not desperate to hear all these albums but I want to and I probably will. I mean Laura did sleep with Ian/Ray in the movie and I've been of the opinion, for awhile, that High Fidelity contains most of life's answers.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Hi!
Some comments on your list in no particular order and having to do with the artists I like / I'm interested

RH I also want to get Coles' Corner, I heard great things about it from a friend.

Cornershop I listened it maybe twice, wasn't impressed either way.

Bat for lashes, the whole 80's vocal style, I don't know, doesn't do it for me

Lily Allen I like some of her songs, yet she's like Noel Gallagher talented at ripping off something and not good at disguising it.

Man, I'm being a bit critical today!

I'm Ailatan from Jezebel.

K said...

I like Cornershop's cover of Norwegian Wood (my fave Beatles song) and Brimful but haven't heard much else. I liked Fur and Gold but I haven't heard anything from the new album yet. Lily is a guilty pleasure...
I almost went to see Richard Hawley on whim but decided to be cheap and go to the box office instead of buying online and when I got there it was sold out.