Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hooray!!



We FINALLY have a new president. I got chills the first time he was referred to as President Barack Obama. Sometime around the 2004 election I realized that if he won again George W. Bush would be president until I was 25. It was incredibly depressing. I spent all day yesterday (with the exception of some Australian Open coverage), watching the inauguration ceremonies and balls.

The whole inauguration was really nice to watch, even though I tend to dislike stuff like that. I don't really like parades. I didn't watch that much of the concert the other day. I think I needed to watch the whole spectacle yesterday because all that ceremony and formality finally made it sink in for me. We were actually getting a new president. A president I, more or less, liked. A president I voted for in the primary

I teared up a whole lot. Stuff that has to do with voting, especially formerly disenfranchised people voting, tends to make me to cry. A lot. Every time I watch Iron Jawed Angels (which I think is ridiculously underrated, all those other HBO movies (usually about men) get so much recognition but seem so boring) I don't just cry, I weep and sob and other synonyms for cry a whole lot.

I don't think Obama is going to be perfect. He's already done some things I don't like a whole lot. I am, however, cautiously optimistic. There's a chance that a lot of good will come out of his presidency. I've already written more than I planned to so I'll just stop now.

No comments: