Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Random 10: Shuffle vs. Genius

I had planned to make this a weekly thing but since I haven't been posting a whole lot random tens would pretty much take over the blog if done weekly. Instead of a consistent Friday Random 10 it's going to be more of an Arbitrary Friday Random 10 or a Friday Random2 10. Anyway onto the lists.

Starting Song: What Went Wrong - The Slackers


(I took this ^^ pic, it's kind of a bad scan though)

Shuffle Playlist....................................Genius Playlist
1. What Went Wrong - The Slackers.........1. What Went Wrong - The Slackers
2. Clampdown - The Indigo Girls..............2. Fake Tales Of San Francisco -
.......................................................................The Arctic Monkeys
3. The World Is Our Playground -
............3. Let's Dance To Joy Division -
...........Babyshambles........................................The Wombats
4. Bandits - Reverend and The Makers......4. Golden Brown - The Stranglers
5. White Riot - The Clash (demo from..........5. L.E.S. Artistes - Santogold
...........The Future Is Unwritten soundtrack)
6. Don't Give Up - Noisettes.....................6. Golden Skans - Klaxons
7. Wishful Thinking - Pulp........................7. Oh My God - Mark Ronson
.........................................................................featuring Lily Allen
8. The Way I Feel - Rancid......................8. A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
9. Rivers Of Babylon - The Melodians.......9. Rider - The Slackers
10. Alphabet Pony - The Kills...................10. When The Sun Goes Down-
.........................................................................The Arctic Monkeys

Track by track comparison (as usual) after the jump.

Before I get into the tracks though, I just want to point out that it's kinda weird that Genius apparently thinks The Slackers are an up and coming British indie band. Further down the genius list, like in the teens and twenties the songs it picked became a little more relevant (totally off topic but I've been having a lot of trouble spelling relevant today, but I think I have it down now) with some Rancid, Joe and the Mescaleros, and Richard Hell. The shuffle list almost seems more like the Genius list since it has Rancid, The Clash, and The Melodians. If the head to head is close the general off-ness of the Genius list might sway my vote to shuffle.

Clampdown (Indigo Grils version which is not on Youtube) vs. Fake Tales of San Francisco: I'm going with the Arctic Monkeys on this one. I love Fake Tales, especially the line, "You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham." (Ok, also off topic but how nuts is it that I spell Rotherham right on the first try but can't spell relevant. I've been spending too much time listening to Yorkshire bands.) I basically only have the Clampdown cover on my computer because it's a Clash song. It's also the only Indigo Girls song I have.

The Whole World Is Our Playground vs. Let's Dance To Joy Division: Genius is pulling out ahead. The Babyshambles song is a demo and the Babyshambles songs I like best generally have to be produced well. The Wombats song is silly and fun and infinitely more listenable.

Bandits vs. Golden Brown: I like Bandits and I should listen to it more. When I was in a big 'listening to Reverend and the Makers' phase I pretty much just played out He Said He Loved Me, Heavyweight Champion of the World, and The State of Things. Golden Brown, despite reminding me of Gordon Brown, is pretty and sad and I've already said how much I like that kind of thing.

White Riot
vs. L.E.S. Artistes: Ok, despite my opinion on Babyshambles demos I do usually like demos. I think it's probably because when I really started getting heavily into music I was a big proponent of lo-fi (four track recordings, raw vocals, etc.). If it were the studio version of White Riot then Santogold might stand a chance since I LOVE her song, a lot, but live or demo White Riot beats pretty much anything.

Don't Give Up
vs. Golden Skans: Shuffle is starting to come back...I love Noisettes and even though Golden Skans is my favorite Klaxons song (one of the few I like) Don't Give Up pretty much kicks it's ass.

Wishful Thinking vs. Oh My God: Ok, this one's tough but I think I'm going to give it to Genius. Wishful Thinking is one of my favorite songs from the early Pulp 'Jarvis sings really deep and kind of like Morrisey' era, which, although it kind of had to grow on me, I do like. On the other hand I think Lily Allen's version of OMG is better than the original; it has horns, and she does it really well live. I actually thought it was a new song when I saw her live so Oh My God wins.

The Way I Feel vs. A-Punk: Even though And Out Come The Wolves is probably Rancid's most consistent album The Way I Feel isn't one of my favorites whereas A-Punk is my favorite Vampire Weekend song by a mile. It's so distinctive and insanely catchy so Genius wins yet again.

Rivers Of Babylon vs. Rider: This one's kind of hard but I'm giving it to Rivers Of Babylon. Rider is a great song, especially when done acoustically in a Borders (is there anything better than walking straight from work to see live music in a book store?). Rivers of Babylon is just a classic, really good, and kind of makes me nostalgic for sing-a-longs at local ska shows.

Alphabet Pony vs. When The Sun Goes Down: This is another case of a band whose demos I really love. If this had been Alphabet Pony vs. Scummy, the same song from the Arctic Monkey's demos then the result would have been different. Going up against the studio version Alphabet Pony wins. The Kills most recent album is kind of near perfect as far as albums go. All the songs are good and some are great.

Ok so in the head to head Genius barely wins 5-4, but I'm taking off points for not really picking songs that go with the original (which I think is supposed to be Genius' main purpose) and I'm also taking off points for two artist repeats. Shuffle wins this week, and pulls ahead in the overall score: Shuffle - 2, Genius - 1.

No comments: