Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Officially Love Dollhouse

As you may have guessed, based on my affinity for Buffy, I've been watching Joss Whedon's new show; Dollhouse. I've liked it since I saw the first episode but I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought that I'd be. It did start to get significantly better, though, and even from the beginning it was probably still my favorite show on network television. Pushing Daisies, I'd say, is was similarly as good.

I loved Man On The Street, Echoes and Needs. They made it clear that the show was going to be much more than the first few episodes promised. The most current episode, A Spy In The House Of Love quickly became my favorite while I watched it yesterday. I hadn't been inspired to write anything about the show until I watched this scene between Ballard and Mellie:

(only watch this clip if you're up to date with Dollhouse)

Spoilers after the jump. (Definitely click continue though because that's where all my good ideas are.)

So, basically, Ballard has to sleep with Mellie after he finds out that she’s a doll in order to 'maintain the illusion', as whoever programmed Mellie put it, and not raise suspicion at the dollhouse.

He has to do something that he thinks is so wrong that he sacrificed his career to put an end to it. In sleeping with a doll he becomes corrupted; he knowingly has sex with someone who essentially lost any ability they had to consent.
If he doesn’t corrupt himself in this way he'll have his plight to eliminate the dollhouse ended and most likely get himself killed.

I was kind of surprised that he went along with it so unflinchingly. As soon as Mellie went back to her un-hacked, active state he went back to exactly how he was pre-hack. He’s either ridiculously good at what he does or he’s pretty easy to corrupt.

What makes it an even shittier situation for him, if it was in fact Mr. Dominic who was hacking the dolls, Ballard's source has now dried up anyway.

At the end of the episode I liked how Dominic was kind of exposed as being similar to Ballard when he accused the dollhouse of hurting Echo after he'd tried to kill her twice. Kind of like how Ballard had to fight Echo in Man On The Street when his main motivation on the series has been to save Caroline.

It was also really funny that Dominic is actually an NSA agent since in Echoes he got outranked by Victor pretending to be an NSA agent.

No comments: