Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Noisettes!!



I sort of knew that there was a new Noisettes album kicking around but I hadn't gotten around to checking it out yet. As a result of a promotional e-mail I checked their out their performance on Jools Holland via YouTube (above).

The first song, Don't Upset The Rhythm is, surprisingly very disco. It's really catchy and very danceable. The lyrics are a bit cliché but in a way that's befitting the poppiness of the song. Also Shingai Shoniwa rocked that gold lamé jumpsuit in a way I doubt anyone else could.

The second song, Never Forget You, started off with a bass line that, along with the off-beat ska rhythm guitar, made me like it immediately. I was kind of afraid at first that it was going to be a little too Winehouse-ish but Shingai's performance makes it very much a Noisettes song. Her voice is probably the best around currently and it's a shame that this band doesn't get more attention. Also the strings on both songs are perfect. I can't wait to pick up this album.

I really love bands that can change their style convincingly. I definitely prefer it to bands that do one style really well (unless that band is the Ramones). When I heard the Horrors new single for the first time I really didn't like it (despite the NME rave). They changed their style but it seemed kind of wishy-washy to me. Maybe I need to listen to it more along with the whole album, but that kind of reinforces how I feel about the Noisettes. I only needed to listen to Don't Upset The Rhythm once to like it and appreciate how seamlessly they were able to shift into disco-ey pop.If you're going to change your sound this is how you do it.

No comments: