Saturday, November 29, 2008

Beginning Blogging

I decided that I'd start a blog the day after the election. My first idea for a blog name was 'Post-Grad Limbo', which is maybe a little more pretentious than what I ultimately went with. But there was already a blog with that name so I thesaurus-ed Limbo, which led me to uncertain, which led me to ambivalent.

I think ambivalent is a kind of perfect description of my current state. Also, post-grad was the wrong word because I'm not in any kind of post-graduate school. I've simply graduated. My ambivalence is what's keeping me from grad school.

Since weeks passed between when I intended to start writing and now, an even more fitting blog title might have included procrastination. Right now I should be doing something else, but I'm not, I'm writing this.

In future blog posts I want to write about pop culture type stuff, analyze TV and movies (my academic true love), reactions to books I'm reading, and Music* I'm listening to (my non-academic true love) and maybe post a bit about politics and analyze media coverage of politics. I'll probably also post any random thoughts I feel are blog worthy. Oh and I want to post some of my favorite pictures that I've taken too.

I could post some get-to-know-me-type facts but I think I'll hold off. I was just thinking about how I hate small talk; talking about what people do, how they know each other, etc. I'll try to avoid that and let the boring details come out in a more organic, and hopefully more interesting way.

Joe Strummer once said, "I think it's a sin to be boring." Keeping that in mind, I probably sinned a bit with this first entry. In the future I'll try to be as virtuous in that regard as possible.

*when editing, I noticed that I capitalized music by mistake but I decided that it was kind of Freudian so I'm keeping it

No comments: