Saturday, November 29, 2008

Jarvis Cocker - Told You Twice Leftovers

Love this:

I was there and it was even more amazing live. I had this song stuck in my head from the first time I heard the chorus, before it showed up on Youtube, before the lyrics showed up on pulp wiki.


I don't really have any concerts planned for the near or distant future so I figured I'd go back to the not so distant past and talk about this song because I really love it. It's kind of beautiful in the sad is happy for deep people kind of way.

Jarvis' first solo album grew on me so I was happily surprised that I liked the new songs immediately. Typically I'm bored out of my mind when new songs are played live. This set was pretty much the only exception.

This song stuck out the most for me because it was slower than the other new ones, which is ironic because the reason I didn't like the first album instantaneously was because most of the songs were slow and I was still in the process of getting used to slower music with polished production. I'd always thought the opposite was ideal but obviously there's room for both, and both can be amazing.

The line that really stuck out for me also stuck out for the New York Times reviewer. "I wanna love you whilst we still have flesh upon our bones. Before we both become extinct." It's sad, yearning, beautiful, grotestque, evocative and disarmingly simple. Every time I listen to it, it gives me chills. I can't wait to hear how it sounds on the album.

No comments: