Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday Random 10: Shuffle vs. Genius

Basically I'm going to do a regular shuffle random ten and compare it to the first ten tracks of a genius playlist using the first song from the shuffle playlist. Then I'll do a song by song comparison and decide which is better. Every week I'll give the score, shuffle vs. genius.

Stating song: Paris Is Burning - St. Vincent


Shuffle Playlist................................. Genius Playlist
1. Paris Is Burning - St. Vincent
..............1. Paris Is Burning - St. Vincent
2. Brown Town - The Livingbrooks
......W.2. I'm On Fire - Bat For Lashes
3. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend -
.......W....3. Knife - CSS
.........The Ramones
4. Streets of Paris - The Teenagers........4. Streets of Paris - The Teenagers
5. My Legendary Girlfriend - Pulp...........5. Birthday - The Bird And The Bee
6. Whiskey In The Jar - Pulp..................6. Arcade Precinct - The 1990s
7. Duck Soup - Drumbago's Orchestra....7. Formed A Band - Art Brut
8. Walking The Sidewalks - The Clash.....8. Grip Like A Vice - The Go! Team
9. Expansive Heart - Big Rig...................9. James Bonde - Bonde Do Role
10. Moon Over Asbury...........................10. B-A-B-Y - The Brunettes

Track by track comparison (with youtube links when available) after the jump.

Brown Town vs. I'm On Fire: Brown Town has the nostalgia factor of being by a local band I used to go see ALL the time. I'm On Fire is a really pretty cover that reworks a Springsteen song. I think I'm gonna call this one a draw.

I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend vs. Knife: I'm going to give this one to the Ramones. Knife, although a cover, is more like CSS's second album than their first, and that's not such a good thing.

Streets of Paris vs. Streets of Paris: This is a pretty obvious draw. Very unoriginal of itunes to put this on both playlists just because Paris is in the title.

My Legendary Girlfriend vs. Birthday: I'm gonna give this one to Pulp. My Legendary Girlfriend is one of my favorite from early pulp and the live version is kinda similar to the random techno song Jarvis ended his recent solo shows with. Birthday is alright, I got it as a Spinner free MP3 of the day but I rarely listen to it.

Whiskey In The Jar vs. Arcade Precinct: I'm giving this one to Arcade Precinct. I love the Pulp cover but shuffle gets points off for putting two Pulp songs in a row. Also, Arcade Precinct is an amazing song in its own right, the 1990s are great live and i love the end when it goes "and the ladies in the arcade, are drinking cherry kool aid".

Duck Soup vs. Formed A Band: Formed a Band wins, it's fun, kinda silly, and loud. Duck Soup is good but it's not one of my faves on the Trojan comp, it has less energy than most of the songs on it.

Walking The Sidewalks vs. Grip Like A Vice: Even though I like Wrath of Marcie better I'm gonna go with Grip Like A Vice. It's rare that I'd pick something over a Clash song, but Walking the Sidewalks isn't the best demo from the vanilla tapes, if it was the early version of Clampdown, Death Or Glory, or Koka Kola the Clash would've won.

Expansive Heart vs. James Bonde: Big Rig isn't my favorite post-Op Ivy solo project (Common Rider definitely is, even though I don't listen to it as much as I should Last Wave Rockers is probably one of my favorite albums). Bonde Do Role edges this one out.

Moon Over Asbury vs. B-A-B-Y: Moon Over Asbury wins here. It's a kind of spaghetti westernish tribute to New Jersey. Brunettes Against Bubblegum youth is pretty good but I think I thought I'd like it more than I do. For me, it doesn't stand up that well to repeated listens.


Genius wins this one 4-3, so as of this week it's Shuffle - 0, Genius - 1

No comments: